SOM alumni network news from the Rockies
By Julie Richman ’86
SOM alumni network news from the Rockies! In an effort to offer continuing education and learning opportunities for alumni we decided to focus on the topic of leadership effectiveness. Our speaker for our spring alumni event, Dr. Robert Ginnett, spoke about the "Keys to Effective Leadership: 4 Behaviors of Great Team Leaders". Robert received his doctorate at Yale and taught at SOM.
In Colorado Springs, we are fortunate to have a local campus of the nationally-known Center for Creative Leadership (CCL). Dr. Ginnett is a senior fellow at the Center as well as a faculty member for CCL's executive training programs. During dinner, Robert provided an insightful, informative and humorous description of the attributes of successful leaders. His research is based on many years of experience with NASA shuttle teams, Air Force flight teams, executive teams in diverse industries, medical teams, research teams, etc. His stories illustrate important things that managers and leaders can incorporate to increase their effectiveness in their roles. Forty-three alumni from Yale and other Ivy League schools attended, including seven SOM graduates and spouses.
Seven door prizes were given out, which included several books authored, donated, and autographed by SOM alumni and a former SOM professor, including the following books:
1. Conservation in the Internet Age edited by James Levitt, Yale SOM class of 1980.
2. Working Mothers Guide to Life; "Everything you ever wanted to know about being a working mom but were too busy to ask" by Linda Mason, Yale SOM class of 1980
3. A Mother's Essays from Ground Zero by Wickham Boyle, Yale SOM class of 1981.
4. I am the Central Park Jogger: A Story of Hope and Possibility, by Trisha Meili, Yale SOM class of 1986.
5. Leading Teams, Setting the Stage for Great Performances by J. Richard Hackman, Professor of Social and Organizational Psychology at Harvard and former SOM professor.